SPE currently offers three types of digital downloads -- PDF, ZIP, & Adobe® Digital Editions.
PDF & Adobe®
These files have no digital rights management associated with them. They are simple downloads. Once your payment is processed you will receive an email with information about how to download your product. It will bring you back to your order on the bookstore where you will see a Download Book link. Saving the file to your hard drive is recommended.
Adobe® Digital Editions (Digital rights management)
Most SPE digital books are offered in this format. SPE uses Adobe® Digital Editions for its digital books. The free Adobe® Digital Editions reader is required for most devices & can be downloaded from the Adobe web site. Digital books can be used on up to 6 registered devices. It is strongly recommended that you register your copy of Adobe® Digital Editions with Adobe; without it, downloaded titles will be locked to a single computer & cannot be restored if something happens to your hard drive. To use the book on multiple devices, they will all need to be registered to your Adobe account.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - READ THIS BEFORE PURCHASE:
- A recent browser version (Internet Explorer 8 or higher, Firefox 3.4 or higher, Google Chrome, Safari, Opera) is required for downloading digital books. Please complete this update before proceeding.
- Install & register Adobe® Digital Editions BEFORE downloading your digital book.
- Download our test book BEFORE making a purchase - Free download of the SPE Symbols Standard
- Downloads of purchased books are NOT immediate. Please allow 1 business day for your credit card payment to be processed. You will receive an email once that is complete. You will be able to download your books from the My Account link in the header (from your order) or from the Digital Goods link in the lower portion of the left navigation.
- Read & follow our digital book download instructions for downloading your book.
Why you need to download test book first
Test Book: SPE Symbols Standard
By default, Adobe® Digital Editions uses Port 8080 for downloading digital books. Many corporate firewalls block access to Port 8080, which means customers may have difficulty downloading their purchases & digital books cannot be returned (because SPE cannot verify whether or not it has been downloaded). So it is important to determine whether you will have problems BEFORE making a digital book purchase.
SPE has established reasonable limits on printing, cutting & pasting as part of the digital rights management (DRM) that we believe will permit most normal use of the book. These limits are time-based, so if you encounter a limit it will reset within a few days. Some downloaded products may be valid for a limited time period only. These will be clearly identified prior to purchase, & Adobe® Digital Editions will let you know when the book will expire after download.
Please refer to Adobe® Digital Editions help for information on adding books to additional computers or readers, as well as other features of Adobe Digital Editions.
Digital downloads cannot be returned
Digital downloads are not currently available to resellers
Adobe® Digital Editions download instructions (pdf)
License agreement for digital books (pdf)